Gluten & Dairy free Jelleid Fruit Ginger Mold, Vintage dessert recipe, Low carb, keto conversion

I know this recipe falls into the old joke of "everything Jell-O" from the 1950's...lol  There really was a lot of them and many of them I have to say scare me a little bit. This one though is actually very good.  It is from a book made by the Firehouse wives from the town I grew up in. I remember a neighbor would bring it over to everyone and anyone who was sick and part of the fire house. I actually asked around for this recipe and had a lady from the "house" email me this copy of it. She said it was in a fundraiser cookbook they made in 1958 and the recipe has always floated around. It was then re-used in another book they did in the '80s. She did not say which copy this scan was from. I was looking for it because our house has come down with the flu and I was just in need of a little "home comfort" from childhood. 
A unique feature to this recipe is the fact that once cooled the gelatin is whipped to be light and airy giving this molded dessert a different texture. 


I am on a very low carb Keto diet and so needed to play with this recipe to make it work for me. It was quite easy. Sugar free stevia sweetened gelatin and diet ginger ale were easy swap outs. Orange juice was a little harder to work around. I decided to add a little extra bubble and use orange flavored unsweetened seltzer. Not exactly the same but close enough to make me feel better. 

This can easily be played with to change up the flavors. With the variety of juices and gelatins out there, a few hundred of not more versions can be whipped up.

If you like this flavor profile check out this marmalade recipe.

Follow me on PinterestGoogle and Facebook or the blog!


To become an Avon Rep please click here for more info

and to sign up.


There are links in my blog posts. Some lead to affiliate pages or my Avon shop. Monies/rewards may be earned off any purchases or sign ups done through these links.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to wear your Avon Eye Shadows

Compare ours to theirs

Remember when 1/15/17