Ginger Snaps, vinatge baking, cookie recipe, Christmas cookies!

Ginger snaps are almost an out dated cookie. I happen to be quite fond of them personally. Not being an overly sweet cookie it is not often you find vinegar in cookie recipes. I believe it is used to help the heavy dough of flour and molasses rise as it is mixed with the baking soda. Some people like to sprinkle or roll them in sugar before baking but I don't really like to, as I said the spicy taste and not being super sweet is what I like.  There are those who also like a drizzle or flood of icing as well. 

I do so love these old recipes from the church and grange books. This one is a favorite because the editor included a note, " Comments: Mrs. Ingraham says these are her favorite ginger snaps and she is a most excellent cook."  I love it! 



Ginger Snaps

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup back strap molasses 
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup butter.
  • 1 cup flour + 1/4 cup separated
  • 2 tsp. baking soda
  • 2 tbls. white vinegar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. ground clove
  • 2 tsp.  ground ginger

In a sauce pan bring to a boil the molasses, brown sugar and butter and as soon as the bubbles roll remove from heat and stir in 1 cup of flour. Leave to the side to cool. In a bowl dissolve baking soda in vinegar. Mix with the egg and spices and then kneed into the molasses dough. Use extra flour as needed while incorporating everything together. Roll into small balls and bake at 350 for 11-12 min.  

Follow me on Pinterest, Google and Facebook or the blog!

To become an Avon Rep please click
here for more info
and to sign up.

There are links in my blog posts. Some lead to affiliate pages or my Avon shop. Monies/rewards may be earned off any purchases or sign ups done through these links

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to wear your Avon Eye Shadows

Compare ours to theirs

Remember when 1/15/17