Nectarine Jam, pectin free


Sometimes old fashioned recipes are really the best especially with jams. Pectin is good, don't get me wrong, I use it, but when I can get away with not using it I do. Why bother? I mean I know it takes more time but the flavor is just better. The slow cooking just changes the taste during the breaking down of the fruits bring forth flavors lost in the quick cook methods so popular today. Slowing down and enjoying the process can be relaxing as well.  I had my kiddo #2 slow down and take her time to make this recipe for a FFA project through school. She won 1st place for this one at the local fair! (the FFA kids had to enter for a grade)

There are a few important notes to remember with this one.
1. Have clean, sterilized jars and lids.
2. Use only non waxed fruit.
3. Give fruit a vinegar bath to remove all dirt and chemicals, skins are used in this recipe.

Nectarine Jam
  • 7 cup clean, pitted and chopped nectarines
  • 4 cup Zulka Sugar (use whatever you have)
  • 2 lemons juiced

In a large pot bring all ingredients to a boil and then lower temperature to keep mixture at a slow but steady simmer. Stir consistently for about a half hour until jam is cooked enough to have a trail when put on plate and spoon is dragged through it, about 220 degrees f  on a candy thermometer. Spoon into prepped jars and water bath for 10 min.

Follow me on Pinterest, Google and Facebook!

To become an Avon Rep please click
here for more info and to sign up.

There are links in my blog posts. Some lead to affiliate pages or my Avon shop. Monies/rewards may be earned off any purchases or sign ups done through these links.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to wear your Avon Eye Shadows

Compare ours to theirs

Remember when 1/15/17