Money saved in Money Earned





I am by no means a money guru.  We have dug out of debt to fall back into it only to begin digging out again.  On the re-dig out I looked through some of my old paperwork to see if there was anything I have been missing that worked before. I found plenty, let's face it I am forgetful.  There were things I never stopped doing and then things that I did let go. Some help a little while others help a lot.  These are a few that have helped us in the past that I am resurrecting!

Utilities
We all have them. We all use them and we all take them for granted. So easy to flip a switch and have light, heat, water etc.  I had forgotten how important it was to call our utilities on a regular basis to update prices and deals. For example we are on a budget plan for our oil delivery.  At the beginning of the year they set a price and that's what it is all year, except if like this year the price has dropped, and dramatically I might add.  So after each delivery I get online and check the oil prices, call the company and ask them to adjust my price to match the current prices. Last delivery they price adjusted by $0.899. on a 197 gallon delivery that saved us a touch under $180.  Add that by the 4/5 times we get deliveries a year and about a grand was saved!  This is important to do with the electric company as well. a recent call got me a $0.021 reduction per kwh.  I know that doesn't sound like much and may not sound worth it but let's give an idea of what that means. In a billing cycle if you use 1000 kwh that is a savings of $21, or about $250 a year.  I have taken this tactic with the water, trash and sewer as well. Trash was a no go but the sewer gave a modest savings as well.

Food
Probably one of  our biggest expenses, there are a lot of corners to cut or build.  Couponing and using sites such as Ibotta help both save and earn back money. (Some of these are listed in an earlier blog post) Bulk shopping not only in bulk stores but local farms and shops can save hundreds. For instance buying a 1/4 side of beef from the local butcher costs us $2.89 a pound. We get about 200 pounds of meat in everything from ground beef to Delmonico steaks and roasts. As the going rate for ground beef in the food store is $3.99, this is a huge savings, but you do need to pay for it up front.  Same for our veggies. Buying in season from local farms and freezing or canning has become a staple in our house. When 40lbs of tomato only cost $6 while a 16 oz. can cost $1.25 that's paying pennies on the dollar.  Don't be shy about asking for rainchecks on store deals. If the store runs out of a sale item ask at customer service for a raincheck. Then the obvious don't go out to eat and don't buy convenience foods.  That's just healthier anyway.

Medical Bills
So speaking of healthy.  Feel free to call those hospitals and labs to haggle down your medical expenses after your insurance has paid their bit.  After some blood work what we were left with was an absurd bill with 2 yes 2 separate charges for the same phlebotomist who took 1 vial of blood. A quick call sorted out the double charge saving us $80 plus we got the $10 bandage fee removed because yes they tried to charge $10 for a band aid. Don't forget your prescriptions. Before leaving the doctors office ask if they have coupon for the medication they are putting you on.  The last prescription I was prescribed  I was able to get a manufactures coupon for a years worth for free. Yes free, and as my copay is $55 a month this is a nice chunk saved. If the doctor doesn't have a coupon check online before heading to pharmacy.  In worst case scenario you find a customer service number and ask for them to send some. I have yet to find a name brand that I couldn't get a coupon or even a rebate form for.

Rebates
Possibly the most forgotten money ever. You would be surprised how many people don't check for rebates or bother to send them in! I mean you can find these on the back of food items, movies, toys anything. Search online both for printable and online forms or just check the coupon fliers where there are often buy 3 get a rebate type forms. There are car manufactures, phone manufactures, all electronic products actually often have rebates that are just never even bothered with. Now Ibotta is a rebate app. and there are others of coarse but the mail in rebate is not dead and $3 here or $5 there adds up. The mail in on my last cell phone was worth $150. 


I could probably write for a few more hours but more posts to come on this subject. If you need to make money please feel free to contact me about starting your own business or check it out online!




Follow me on Pinterest, Google and Facebook or the blog!

To become an Avon Rep please click
here for more info
and to sign up.

There are links in my blog posts. Some lead to affiliate pages or my Avon shop. Monies/rewards may be earned off any purchases or sign ups done through these links

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to wear your Avon Eye Shadows

Compare ours to theirs

Remember when 1/15/17