Stuffed! The Squash that is.



Tis the season for squash! Butternuts, acorns, carnival and more! Yum, yum, yummy.  Here was dinner last night and it went over so very well with the family. I used a Honey Nut squash which is a small type of butternut with a sweet, nutty flavor and very dark flesh that I believe will be perfect for pie filling, yup on my fall baking bucket list that is!  This filling though could be used in any of the fall squashes.  I cut and prebake my squash cut side down on the pan while I prep filling so as to not over bake the filling too much. I couple of pieces of meat did still get a little too dark here but that doesn't bother me much as it wasn't burnt just dark, it does look much darker in the picture then it was in real life.

Fall stuffed squash
  • 4 small butternut squashes cut in half and de seeded.
  • 1 tube loose breakfast sausage
  • 2 med. baking apples diced.
  • 1 small onion diced small
  • 1 clove garlic minced
  • salt and pepper to taste

As I said above I bake the squash cut side down in a 375 degree oven while I prep filling. These a dense squashes and need cooking time.

In pan brown sausage, and add onion and garlic until lightly golden. Toss in apples and let cook until juices start to flow. Once the juice starts add the oats. Stir well until liquid is absorbed.

Pull out squash and flip over so cut sides are up. Fill the cavities with the filling. I like to leave the extra filling lying on top of the solid areas of squash or it can be baked separately .  Place back into oven and cook for 40 min. Then enjoy.  I like mine plain but hubby added a little butter to the squash. all about personal preference there.

The squash can be covered with foil to bake to stop any crunchy spots from forming, mine like crunchy so I don't and this would probably cut cooking time down a few minutes as well so I would start checking after about a half hour or so to see if squash is cooked to soft consistency.
1 1/2 cup rolled oats

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to wear your Avon Eye Shadows

Compare ours to theirs

Remember when 1/15/17