Oh My Honey

For years now we as a family have put aside chemical medicines as much as possible.  We opt for more natural ways of healing our illnesses.  Sometimes we use our own homemade syrups.  Sometimes herbal and mineral supplements with specific formulas to target certain things.

Today though I am sharing my cold and sore throat syrup.  It is very easy to make and soothes a flaming throat if used directly as a syrup or as a sweetener in a tea.  I find my self making this often and year round.  Allergy season hits us hard and a daily dose seems to ease the intensity of them.  The other reason I need to make it so much is everyone just likes it! Yes it's "medicine" everyone enjoys and since the syrup is not toxic in any way they can use it in hot or cold teas, on oatmeal and the all time favorite...on ham!  Yes this is a multi use recipe that I began making for my child's sore throat and it turned into a staple of our lives!

Ingredients:
1 dark colored orange zested and half juiced
1 cup medium dark local raw honey
1 cinnamon stick
6 cloves
1 1/8 in slice of ginger root

In a pan add all ingredients. Warm without boiling until the air is filled with pungent odor of spices, about 10-15 minutes.  Let cool and pour into a mason jar to be kept in fridge for up to 2 months though it never last that long here. 

To use:  For ages 2-5 1 tsp. at onset of cold every hour for first day then 3-4 times a day or as needed for sore throat.  6-10 2 tsp. the same routine all others 1 tbs.   Do be careful if you are diabetic. This is honey...this is sugar.  Please take that into consideration before using it.

Other uses:
Sweetener in teas, glaze for hams, poultry or veggies, makes a nice drizzle on fruits as well.

Follow me on Pinterest, Google and Facebook!

To become an Avon Rep please click
here for more info and to sign up.

There are links in my blog posts. Some lead to affiliate pages or my Avon shop. Monies/rewards may be earned off any purchases or sign ups done through these links.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to wear your Avon Eye Shadows

Compare ours to theirs

Remember when 1/15/17