Not your Mama's chicken salad, lunch, sandwich recipe


With the knowledge that one of my darlings was allergic to eggs many of my recipes had to be made over or just plain old trashed. It didn't take me long to miss the mayonnaise laden salads of summer.  Most particularly chicken salad.  Cool and creamy on some nice crispy sour dough bread.. dang right?  So me, being me, I began to play around with flavors and ingredients until I came up with a salad we all enjoyed and in reality has become a household favorite. Now I use as much fresh foods as I can but if you are in need of using canned chicken go for it. No one is judging you!  Now these are basically the measurements I use. Since I use a whole chicken and the weights vary I do add or subtract a bit by taste also important to keep in mind if you buy the chicken they can be salty and may not need more seasoning. Also I use a firmer, thick yogurt for this.  If you have a softer yogurt you can put a coffee filter in a strainer and pour out yogurt into it, let drain for about half hour.

Harvest Chicken Salad

1- 3lbs ish cooked chicken (rotisserie from store works)
1- small red onion diced
1/2 cup each diced - red pepper, carrots, celery, walnuts, apple, and dried cranberries
1-2 cups of thick live culture plain yogurt (note plain yogurt is not vanilla)
1- tbs each of red wine vinegar, brown mustard, fresh ground ginger, and cilantro
salt and pepper to taste (remember if using a seasoned bird to taste first)

Now to help combine the flavors I mix in the yogurt, spices, mustard and vinegar and let sit while I pull apart the bird and cut it up into bite size pieces and chop up everything else. Then once everything is prepped mix it in all together.
Serve with bread, crackers or as you see above just in some lettuce leaves.  There is a debate in our home and the house is split by disagreement here. 3 of us just need to put pickled jalapeƱos in our salad while the others believe we are nuts. So, JalapeƱo optional enjoy!

Follow me on Pinterest, Google and Facebook!

To become an Avon Rep please click
here for more info and to sign up.

There are links in my blog posts. Some lead to affiliate pages or my Avon shop. Monies/rewards may be earned off any purchases or sign ups done through these links.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to wear your Avon Eye Shadows

Compare ours to theirs

Remember when 1/15/17